Saturday, August 14, 2010

Draw the Dark by Ilsa J. Bick


Christian is a talented artist with some dark shadows in his past. His ability to "draw out" memories from other people onto paper has set him apart as a loner and a freak at school. When the process gets out of his control and he begins slipping into memories from the history of his small Wisconsin town, he has to turn away from his preoccupation with his own past in order to solve a 60-year-old mystery.

Draw the Dark (publication date October 2010) is a great YA read: dark, with a strong historical background and fast-paced, compelling writing. I found it hard to tear myself away from the last 100 pages. This is a novel that will appeal to adults and older teenagers. I loved the historical detail, and the "memory" story rang very true. The paranormal touches appealed to me less, but then I'm not a fan of paranormal. Still, they never strayed into what I'd call "silly" territory; they were very lightly applied and never got out of hand. I really enjoyed this novel.

Note: I downloaded the galley of this book from NetGalley.

No comments: