Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Self-Employed Tax Solutions by June Walker


Yes, I know, I should be reading and reviewing novels and stuff like that. The Art, my dear, the Art is all! But I took a little sidestep into the real world this week and read Self-Employed Tax Solutions because I had quite a few unanswered questions about running my writing business, was having a hard time understanding the IRS's pronouncements, and am understandably reluctant to rely too much on an expensive accountant until I have the income to match.

This is an excellent basic introduction to simple record-keeping and other issues that all freelancers have to face, such as the dreaded conundrum of how to figure out your estimated tax payments. I have highlighted all sorts of useful tips, have a completely new view of record-keeping, and a much better idea of what I need to ask that expensive accountant--in a way that ensures I take up as little of his time, and my money, as possible.

The writing is clear, the examples are relevant to small creative businesses (I learned some interesting tips for writers!) and there are some very handy example calculations. I believe I may already have saved the cost of this book several times over just by reading it. Recommended.

1 comment:

stacy said...

This is good timing! Just getting ready to graduate and am putting this on my 'to buy' list.