Monday, May 24, 2010

ALEX AND THE IRONIC GENTLEMAN by Adrienne Kress


What has pirates, a faceless man, an Extremely Ginormous Octopus, musical numbers that include "jazz hands", a cat named Giggles, a talking refrigerator, and a bunch of old ladies bent on revenge? Why, Alex and the Ironic Gentleman, of course.

(Of course.)

And that doesn't even scratch the surface. This book is a lovely rollercoaster ride. It runs at a fast pace and bounces you from one thing to the next so quickly, you might just want to buckle your seatbelt.

Alex is a sixth-grade girl who doesn't mind that everyone--especially adults--mistake her for a boy. Because she has a bowl haircut. And her name is Alex. It's understandable.

However, she does mind that the only adult she seems to get along with, aside from her uncle who raised her, has been kidnapped by pirates. Say it ain't so! She then takes it upon herself to rescue him, and so the story begins. And once you've started, you won't want to stop.

This book was an absolute delight to read, and highly recommended for the age group it targets (9-12), and then some. My six year-old thought it was great, but I had to read it to him (it is a bit word heavy for early readers).

For more about this book and this author:

Adrienne Kress - website
Alex and the Ironic Gentleman
Timothy and the Dragon's Gate

~Lydia

5 comments:

smallkucing said...

Sounds good to me.

Nathan said...

Hello,

I read your review and found it very nice. However, I would like to request that you make a change to the image you are using in the review. Currently you are hot linking the image on my personal self-hosted blog.

That puts extra strain on my server. Blogger has the ability to host images itself, so what you can do is right click on the image, save it to your desktop and then upload it on your own blog, rather than using the image from my blog, which uses my bandwidth, and costs me money.

For more info please read:

Hot Linking - Wikipedia

If you can't figure out how to fix the hot link at the moment that's fine for now, but please avoid hot linking in the future.

Thanks, and have a great time with your blog,

Nathan - Books for Sale?

Lydia Sharp said...

Woops, sorry. Didn't mean to cause a problem. I usually save images to my desktop first to make sure they're available. Must have been overtired when I did this one. My apologies.

Claire Dawn said...

Great review! You're like my review idol!

The book sounds awesomez!

Lydia Sharp said...

Aw, thanks, Claire! *blush*