Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Bloody Harvest by Richard Kunzmann

When the mutilated body of a child is discovered outside Jo’berg, South Africa, the detectives of the Murder and Robbery Unit must work to determine if this is a normal, albeit heartbreaking murder, or if it is a muti killing.  As the case progresses is becomes apparent this is only a single incident in a crime enterprise that includes drugs and trafficking.  This case becomes not only a fight to quash the criminals responsible but also pushes to detectives inner demons to the surface.
 
I muddled through the first 112 pages of this novel, never quite being able to determine exactly what bothered me about it.  Maybe it’s the third person present tense prose, or the overused racial dichotomy of the lead detectives.   Perhaps it was because the main character and especially his wife annoyed me so.  It was probably all these things plus a few more I still haven’t been able to put into words.  Whatever the case, I soon found I couldn’t put it down.  There was a good mix of character development and action.  I do not need frequent gun battles in my novels but in this case it provided a break in what easily could have become a tedious melodrama.  The story not only encompasses the intertwined cases of the Murder and Robbery Unit but also the melding of traditional African rural society and Western Urbanization and those who are forced to accept a place there. 

2 comments:

watsonrodrig said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
M'cgee said...

This is the best book I've read so far!!!Great work Richard, you have outdone your self on this one!!!