Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Songbird In My Heart, by Mark Steven Rhoads

The Singbird In My Heart
by, Mark Steven Rhoads
2009, Belle Vista Publishing
208 pages
ISBN: 978-0615273624



Mark Steven Rhoads begins his book with the edict:

“This book has a simple intention; to point you toward the purpose of your life, to recognize the simple magnificence that is you and to perceive life’s remarkable beauty around you.”

It is a noble purpose, indeed. While the visuals are nice, the format simply doesn’t work. The mix of clunky prose, an extravagant number of rudimentary poems and amateur photos stewed together make it nearly impossible to gain an understanding of what Mr. Rhoads was trying to accomplish. Rather than giving the reader a coherent whole, it ends up as a haphazard scattershot of ideas without any cohesion between them. It’s difficult to get any sense of an overall message, much less any tools to put to use in life.

There was beauty in the pictures and verse, but it never took me anywhere. I agree with the basic premise of finding life outside of just work (something I have tried to do in my own life) and I really wish he had driven that point home. Instead, I ended up scratching my head at the end wondering what it was that he expected me to do or not do, but I didn't get any answers. It was a book I was very much looking forward to reading - I really wish it could have been better.

Read more of my reviews here.

No comments: