Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Shadowlight, by Lynn Viehl

Shadowlight: A Novel of the Kyndred
By, Lynn Viehl
2009, Penguin Group
ISBN-13: 978-0451412782
336 pages



This decade has seen the rise of the vampire novel, thanks in no small part to the colossal success of Stephanie Meyer’s Twilight series. One of the more popular novelists in the supernatural romance/thriller genre has been Lynn Viehl. Her Darkyn series has produced several trips to the New York Times bestseller list for trade paperbacks and created a legion of fans. Viehl’s newest novel Shadowlight, begins her newest series – the Kyndred – a spin-off of her Darkyn novels.

I had some problems with Shadowlight. The story was slow to get started and lurched from one scene to the next without much continuity, making it difficult to follow who was doing what. I just couldn't find much to hold on to. After the first 100 pages, I realized that I still didn’t care very much about any of the characters. The basic premise of the story was interesting enough, but in the end, when I finished the novel I was simply unable to buy in to the story or its characters. There may be other readers who will enjoy Shadowlight, (Viehl has a lot of fans) but I just couldn't get into it that much.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your review. I was one of the lucky ones to be given the opportunity to read and review this book for Lynn Viehl, unfortunately I didn't like it. For me the only really good parts were with Sam and Lucan. I love her Darkyn series but I could not get into this book and cast of characters. Maybe other people will like it but I did not.

Anonymous said...

Saddly, I just finished the Darkyn books, loved them! I'm extremely sad that she's not continueing this series though. There's so much more she could expound upon with the Darkyn characters. What about John Keller, Luisa, Richard's changing, the War, and all the other characters mentioned?? I'm very disappointed that she's not writing anymore of the Darkyn series...I wish she'd reconsider!! I'm so upset that these wonderful characters-their stories aren't finished...just left hanging!!