Thursday, August 27, 2009

Steve Hely/HOW I BECAME A FAMOUS NOVELIST


One of the funniest books I've ever read.

Pete Tarslaw plans to exact revenge on his ex-girlfriend by becoming a famous novelist and overshadowing her at her own wedding. So now he just has to write a best-seller--which, of course, anyone with half a brain and a talent for b.s.-ing can do.

Here are some examples of Pete's competition from a list of bestsellers Hely made up:

Blow. On a deep-sea exploration vessel, an oceanographer falls in love with a trained dolphin.
They Play Red Rover in Heaven. A grouchy old man discovers the afterlife is a lot like the summer camp he tried to have closed.
And here's a sampling from a list of things that happen when Pete gets drunk at his ex-girlfriend's wedding:

Declared myself to be an amateur chef. By way of demonstration, poured vodka all over Lucy's sea bass. When she protested, proclaimed that her palate was "unrefined."
Not only is the story hilarious, it leads to some surprising revelations about the sincerity with which authors write books ridiculous enough to be called Kindness to Birds and The Jane Austen Women's Investigators Club. Fans of the very funny Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris will love it.

Grove Press, Black Cat (July 8, 2009)
Amazon link

7 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

That's a great review and now I have to read the book.

Rebecca :) said...

Great review! I am putting this one on my Friday Finds list!

coffeelvnmom said...

I actually read about this book recently and ordered it on Borders' website earlier today coincidentally! This review just made me more excited for it to get here! =)

coffeelvnmom said...

I actually read about this book recently and ordered it on Borders' website earlier today coincidentally! This review just made me more excited for it to get here! =)

Jane Steen said...

OK, you've convinced me, I'm putting it on my list. Thanks for the review.

Cheryl said...

I hope you all love it! I have no doubts it'll keep you laughing.

Alison (Alison's Book Marks) said...

A friend JUST recommended this book to me, and after reading your review I have to get this book. Thanks!