Wednesday, June 24, 2009

THE PHYSICK BOOK OF DELIVERANCE DANE - Katherine Howe


As I adore asking the question, "What if?" this book was a wonderful treat. What if one of those accused during the Salem Witch trials was, in fact, a witch? I use the term loosely because, as in the novel, there is the current fads of reiki healing, energy work, and aura readings that account for helpful modern "physicks."

This debut novel explores the possibility of a true physick/magic-healer named Deliverance Dane. As 1990s student, Connie Goodwin, a doctoral student of colonial history at Harvard, begins to empty out her grandmother's New England home, she finds clues that lead her on an academic adventure. Her mother, a "healer" who moved to be near energy centers in the southwest United States, makes Connie roll her eyes in frustration. Therefore, the deeper Connie is involved in the mystery, the more she must give up her preconceived notions.

Fascinating premise; however, the book is best for light summer reading due to a sub-plot about a crazed professor and the forced romance between Connie and a local. Still, it held my interest enough to keep me reading late into the night.

3.0 out of 5.0 Salem Witches.

2 comments:

Leigh Russell said...

I have read a book that sounds almost exactly the same as this - Witch Child by Celia Rees.
It's suitable for young teens upwards, so no gratuitous extra subplots and quite simple, but excellent.

I_am_Tulsa said...

oh wow I didn't notice that I had bought this book because I bought the UK edition which is titled "The lost Book of Salem". My bookstore friend had a copy set aside for me because he knew this would be the kind of story I would be interested in! It is on the upper half of my ever growing stack of books that I have to read!