Thursday, May 7, 2009

"The Weight of Heaven" - Thrity Umrigar


After the death of their son, Frank and Ellie move to India to escape. Frank works as the head of a company, HerbalSolutions, which uses local trees for a diabetes medication. The trees were used by the natives, as well, but the new restrictions cause havoc between boss and workers.

Meanwhile, Frank yearns for his lost son and tries to fill the gap with Ramesh, the bright, ambitious son of their housekeepers. This hurts his father, who wants only the best for his son, as long as it is true to India.

This is a wrenching read. I thought of heaven as light, airless, but the grief - which Umrigar expresses with metaphors and beautiful imagery - the grief, the grief, oh, how it hurts the chest and heart to imagine.

4.25 out of 5.0 Gin and Tonics.

2 comments:

Rebecca :) said...

Sounds interesting, but I don't think I could handle this one right now with my dad recently passing away. I think it would be too much. Good review, though.

Kristin Dodge said...

I'm sorry about your dad...