Friday, April 17, 2009

Suzanne Collins/THE HUNGER GAMES

You know how sometimes you get really, really bad news, and the shock is so acute you end up laughing involuntarily?

That is what I did when I reached the last page of THE HUNGER GAMES and saw the words "End of Book One." And then I remembered that Ello had warned us all about this. Ello, never again will I forget your book reviews! (everbody click that link for the book's plot summary; I do not wish to be redundant)

THE HUNGER GAMES is every bit as unputdownable as it's hyped up to be, and part of its brilliance is that it becomes progressively more addictive. It's a stealth attack. The first few pages were enough to keep me interested. By page 4, I was genuinely intrigued. A couple of chapters later, I knew I had to finish the book. A few chapters after that, I knew I had to finish the book AS SOON AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE. The narrative is skillfully constructed to keep reeling in the reader. Even when Katniss steps out of the present (sometimes right when you are desperate to know what happens next) to recollect past events, the memories she shares are relevant to the present story and help to propel it forward, once she returns to it.

Katniss as a character is also well-constructed; she's tough and no-nonsense, strong in the ways that are necessary for her survival, but her subtle emotional vulnerability will endear her to readers. I love that Collins brings out this quality with a light hand. Katniss herself has trouble recognizing her emotional weak spots, and this is one reason that her journey is still not over at the end of the book.

The second book, CATCHING FIRE, comes out in September, and I will have my wallet ready.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow. I've chosen this book for my readathon to read in the middle of the night because I think I'll be more likely to get through the night that way. i've been told you just can't put this book down!

Cheryl said...

I can't wait for the sequel. I think Collins did a great job making the characters interesting amidst all the action.

Anonymous said...

i have been thinking about this books sequel since i finished the book a 3 am saturday.... what day does catching fire come out anyway?

moonrat said...

i dunno, but there are going to be galleys at BEA!

~Mary said...

I read this book twice this week....6 times all together! Its amazing and I'm anxiously awaiting the sequels!!
Team Peeta!

Anonymous said...

wow thats a little to many times. maybe you should go outside and get some sun. Just sayin