Monday, March 9, 2009

THE ME I USED TO BE/Jennifer Archer



After the original Woodstock, sixteen-year-old Allyson Cole found herself pregnant and alone when her boyfriend Sonny runs away without a word, and her parents forced her to give the baby up for adoption.

Thirty years later, Allyson is stunned to find an eighteen-year-old boy on her doorstep: Nicholas, the son of the daughter she gave up for adoption. Before Allyson's daughter died of cancer, she found where Allyson lived and told Nicholas to go to her "because she owes me". Allyson and Nicholas go on a search for Sonny to find out if they can be a family.

I like the twist on "baby given up for adoption comes back", and I really liked Jennifer Archer's writing. So rare for me these days, I didn't find myself pulled out of the story once for strange sentence structure or weird choices of words. Thinking back on it now, I can see an inconsistency in the story line but it didn't bother me at the time and I don't think it's a big deal even now.

I haven't read anything else by Jennifer Archer but I will now.

1 comment:

Travis Erwin said...

Jennifer is a great writer and an even better person. Her kindness to ward other writers is legendary here in my hometown which I'm proud to share with her. She's working on a yon g adult book right now which is scheduled for release next year.