Sunday, March 8, 2009

"The Lightning Thief" - Rick Riordan


After watching my son devour this series of novels by Rick Riordan, I asked for his cast-offs. "You're going to love it, Mom," my son said. "Did you get to the part about his father? About blah blah blah?" I had to screech at him, "Don't *tell* me, I don't want to ruin it, etc."

Because this book is like Harry Potter with ADHD.

Actually, Percy Jackson, pre-teen hero of the novel, has ADHD and dyslexia. But the best part is he's the son of an Olympic god. Which one? Through stories about mythology, Riordan teaches as he writes. Percy is sent on a quest with his friends, Grover and Annabeth, with crazy bus rides, restaurant visits, and water park pools adding excitement for the early-YA crowd.

The dialogue is fantastic in its pitch-perfect tune of a 12-year-old. Riordan throws a few bones to the parents, too, which made me laugh out loud. Overall, it's a delightful book, and I've promised my son to "say it's sick writing." Whatever that means. I'm on the bandwagon.

4.25 out of 5.0 Monkey Businesses.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I agree, this was a great book!

Pamala Knight said...

My son loves this series too and has all of the books in the trilogy. I highly recommend it for both the writing and the story. Thanks for the review.

Alex Moore said...

This was one of my fav fun books -- thanks for the review! I've been waiting til more of the series came out so that I could sit down and read them all at once :)

read-that said...

I loved this series so much that it only took me a week to finish them all and that just left me wanting more.
Check out some of my reviews at www.read-that.com