Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

This book made me really mad. Let me explain. I bought The Hunger Games when it first came out and put it on my TBR pile (which is admittedly huge). I picked it up to take a peek before going to bed at 12:30. First mistake. I am a fast reader but it wasn't until 4AM that I finished the book. There were sections that were so intense I had to reread it right then and there. Second mistake, I drank a huge glass of water before starting. Even though I had to pee really badly, I could not put the freaking book down and go to the bathroom. I can't believe I risked a bladder infection for this book. But then again, I can't believe how awesome this book is.

The Hunger Games

And that goes to the crux of why I am so raving mad that I read this book right now. Cause when I got to the end of the book, it said "End of Book One" and I had no Book Two to immediately begin reading. And that is absolutely killing me. It is exquisite agony that keeps me thinking over and over about pertinent parts of the book. I am amazed at the skill and tortured by the wait. I desperately wish I had not read it until the whole series was written so I could read them back to back. But I also wish Ms. Collins would hurry up and write as fast as possible so as not to hold me hostage by her world much longer. My most desperate wish is one I think all writers have when they read a book they love. I wish I had written this book myself. I wish I had created this world so I can control the outcome of these characters.

For those of you who may not know about this book, I'll give you a short synopsis. Ms. Collins has created a dystopian Utopia where twenty-four teenage contestants representing their districts are forced to compete in the ultimate Survivor show. You must kill the other contestants to win. The rules? There seems to be only one rule - make it entertaining. It reminds me of that great scene in The Gladiator where Russell Crowe comes out and kills ten men in a matter of seconds and the crowd is stunned silent. He turns to them and shouts "Are you not entertained?!" Oh yeah! The producers of the show don't like it when contestants aren't killed daily so they do dangerous things to add to the suspense and keep their audience entertained. The hero of the book is Katniss, a poor girl with mad hunting skills, from the poorest district, whose little twelve year old sister's name is pulled from the lottery. Katniss knows her sister cannot survive and volunteers to go in her stead. And from that moment on, the book takes you on a roller coaster ride that you physically can't get off until it rolls to a satisfying end. Except it isn't satisfying to see that there are more books to read but they are not yet published.

I have heard this book compared to Battle Royale by Koushun Takami and have heard people complain about the similarities. I can't comment because I haven't read Battle yet, but I know that because of the Hunger Games I look forward to reading it. And I don't think it will change my mind about my review of Ms. Collins book. It is simply an awesome read.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I can't wait to read this book!!! It's on my list for this year.

moonrat said...

hahahaha. this is why i love your book reviews, ello.

another friend said basically the same thing about this book. iii guess i'll have to read it :)

i know battle royale well; it's pretty hair-raising. and a little gruesome. so i think the comparison is a little off. but yeah, i guess i better read this.

beth said...

HAHA!!! I was totally the same way...well, not the pee thing, but the can't-put-it-down thing :)

Pixiewinkle said...

Agreed.

Katie O'Sullivan said...

I too stayed up though the night to read this, and threw the book across the room when I finished. (even though it was a library book - please don't tell)

The next day I handed it to my son to read. He had a similar reaction.

Love it, hate the ending.

And yes, I really wish I had written that.