Thursday, February 19, 2009

"Boudica: Dreaming the Serpent Spear" - Manda Scott


Manda Scott has dreamed her way through four books about the infamous Boudica (Boadicea, Boudicca) woman warrior of ancient Briton. And I grit my teeth.

I'll be frank. I wrote a screenplay about this warrior (the film by Mel Gibson - referred to as "Braveheart in a bra" - is in pre-production). My viewpoints are very different than those of Scott or Gibson (as I understand it) and many other ancient Briton experts. Add to the mix that I'm an American and I'm easily dismissed from conversations regarding the red-headed queen of the Iceni tribe. And, yes, she (via her daughter) has been my project for years.

Still, I liked a lot of Scott's imagery and battle scenes. While her focus is on the "dreaming" (Druid) aspect of the different tribes, it is an interesting mix of Celtic and old Irish traditions and history. The Roman versions of the invasions were less believable, but Scott admits to tinkering with history. Although I don't agree with Scott's version, I appreciate the beauty in it.

Unfortunately, you can't read this book alone. You need to begin with the first and work your way through the series. Even so, I was confused several times and had to rely on my faulty memory and hints from the language to work through paragraphs and scenes.

3.75 out of 5.0 Bay Horses.

No comments: