Saturday, December 27, 2008

"The Blood of Flowers" - Anita Amirrezvani


First there wasn't and then there was. Before God, no one was.

This is how all of the stories began in 17th century Iran, and a village girl dreams that her own story will have the sweet almond ending of the fables. However, during the comet, her family's luck turns, and she ends up scouring pots with her mother by the "kindness" of distant relations.

Still, the girl dreams of more. In the village, she wove a turquoise rug and sold it for her dowry. Now, her distant-uncle runs the royal rug shop. He teaches her to design, paint, and plot the knots tied on the rugs.

This is not a fairy tale, though, like she had grown up learning. She is married out on a three-month contract - basically, similar to the deal in "Pretty Woman," though she doesn't even get to stay during the daytime. Instead, she weaves a rug that begins to earn her uncle's respect.

Like Arabian Nights, there are fables or moralistic stories intertwined with the main narrative. Most were lovely additions, though I'll admit that I skimmed over them. The girl shows the spirit of many women, tied by their own knots, yet struggling against them. This is what carried the story and captured my interest.

4.0 out of 5.0 Polo Cocktails.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

That sounds really interesting. I'm going to add it to my TBR pile.

moonrat said...

one of my friends gave this book THE HIGHEST recommendation ever. i've been meaning to read it for awhile. thanks for reminding me!

Cheryl said...

I love this book. So absorbing. You feel like you're in a "fantasy" world because it is so rich with exotic detail, but the author spent ages researching this time period. I really liked the main character, too.

I have to agree with the author of this post that the side narratives weren't quite as interesting as the main story.