Monday, October 6, 2008

Dashiell Hammet/THE THIN MAN


A murder investigation brings former detective Nick Charles and his wife Nora into contact with a score of unsavory characters, including a trigger-happy mobster, a vindictive divorcee, and a morbid young would-be sleuth.

Sparse prose, snappy dialog, misty-eyed monologues--this book has all the best elements of a hard-boiled detective story. I'll admit, though, that the ever-shifting suspicion lost me more than once. The ending had an interesting reveal, but one I couldn't have even tried to puzzle out myself since I couldn't keep track of all the characters or their motivations.

5 comments:

moonrat said...

interesting. i've heard so much about hammet, but i've never read anything of his... what do you say? should i give it a go?

Cheryl said...

You might want to read The Maltese Falcon instead. I hear it's more focused and easier to follow. I think it's worth it to experience his style, which is so distinct, even if you're not up for finishing the story.

Alan said...

Go girls, Go! So glad to see you "discovering" some of the old classics.

Cheryl said...

Yeah, I tend to enjoy classics. Except for The Old Man and the Sea. That is one boring book.

moonrat said...

Ugh, ditto, Cheryl.