Tuesday, October 21, 2008

CRASH TEST/Hobson Brown, Taylor Materne, Caroline Says


This semester at Wellington, everyone's feeling the pressure. Laine feels like she has to take things farther with Noah then she wants to go. Noah's desperate not to screw things up with the one girl he might have a chance with. Chase can't stand ex-girlfriend Parker's hateful stares. And Parker's dealing with the pressures of private school in ways that are starting to spin her out of control.

Crash Test has everything you'd expect from a novel with snotty schoolgirls on the cover: sex, drugs, and Interpol. But the story is told in language so beautiful I could frame the pages. The style, quick-moving story, and multi-dimensional characters reeled me in fast--I read almost the whole book in one day. The ending dragged on a bit, but I enjoyed the book so much that I'm about to hunt down the rest in the Upper Class series (this one is the fourth).

One last note: it's too bad these books have only girls on the cover because Crash Test, at least, could just as easily appeal to boys.

4 comments:

moonrat said...

wow--so it's a classy read? i guess i'd judged the book by its cover (cough) and assumed that it was Gossip Girl-esque.

Cheryl said...

It's like Gossip Girl with a soul. It surprised me because usually I'm icked out by Gossip Girl-type stories. The first chapter, I was like *eye-roll* "Here we go." But then I totally changed my mind.

ChrisEldin said...

I was going to say the same thing Moonrat said. I would never pick up this book because of its cover. But now that I've heard your recommendation, I would. I'm thinking how amazing word-of-mouth publicity is...

Cheryl said...

Update: I read the first book in this series (called Upper Class) and didn't like it quite as much, although as a MG/YA writer I covet these authors' dialog skills. I'm still excited about this series--I just got my hands on Book 2: Miss Educated.