Monday, July 14, 2008

Garth Stein//THE ART OF RACING IN THE RAIN

Spoiler Alert: The dog dies.

Oh man, don't kill me! You will realize the dog dies in the first few pages.


This book is told from the POV of Enzo, the beautiful dog on the cover. Enzo watches too much television and is afraid of the zebra (the demon that lives in all of us). But he's a good listener. He has to be if he wants to be human in his next life. His human owner is a racing car driver. By the end of the book, I wasn't sure if I wanted to be a dog or a racer. Garth is that good.


Racing in the Rain is a parable about life. It's about overcoming your hardships and going after your dreams. It's not as sappy as it sounds. I heart this book very much.

2 comments:

Chad Aaron Sayban said...

That actually sounds like a very interesting book. I might have to check it out. Thanks!

Linda said...

Chris, I LOVED this book. Glad you reviewed it here. I thought Garth handled the potential for sappiness very well, because I admit - I was skeptical about reading it at first. In fact, the only reasons I did was because a writer friend of mine knows him and was pushing the book, and a mutual friend gifted me an autographed copy when she heard him in Boston. Long story, needs wine to make coherent.

In the end, the story is not about the dog. Rather, it's about believing in yourself enough to dare to dream your dreams, and then to make them happen. Manifest yourself. The book came to me when I REALLY needed to hear that message. Thanks, and peace... Linda