Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Sloane Crosley/I WAS TOLD THERE'D BE CAKE

A collection of humorous essays on a variety of topics by a 28-year-old surviver of the publishing industry. Topics range from surviving summer camp to being forced to be maid of honor for someone you knew in high school.

These essays are short and fun--I laughed out loud on the subway several times. They're pretty straightforward in terms of subject matter (what it's like to be a lapsed Jew, what it's like to try to make an early career in publishing, what it's like to be persecuted for vegetarianism) but are often cleverly worded. I would recommend this as a fun, quick read. Alas, because it's an essay collection I don't find myself having much more coherent to say about it. My favorite essay was probably the first one, about the ponies.

No comments: