Monday, February 11, 2008

Richard Russo/Nobody's Fool

Sully, the main character, is a sixty-year-old man living in small town America. He goes through one stupid streak after another, but always seems to stay just afloat in life. Sully doesn't dwell on regrets, and only briefly allows himself to consider the smaller things in life which may have gone better if he had made different decisions in life.

Richard Russo pulls you into small town life so completely, you feel like you're living there. There are several supporting characters, including a couple of children, who are equally thought-out and developed. Most of the characters are older, which to me was a nice surprise in reading this book. It's great to break out of the 20-40 year-old range for characters.


I love this story. It was warm and funny and real. I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

ChristineEldin said...

I love this blog, Moonrat. It's helping me to think through what I like and don't like in writers. As well as learning about great books!

Well, here's what I've been thinking about--why you all loved The Time Traveler's Wife and I didn't. I liked it very much, don't get me wrong. But after reading Russo, I figured it out.

I like books that are so completely real and earthy, I feel like I know the characters. I also like hopeful books. TTTW to me was very sad. Here this woman, Clare, wasted 40 years of her life hanging out waiting for the moment she would see Henry again. It was depressing. I didn't see this as realistic love (to me!! I know, I know) It was too epic.

Russo is the opposite of that, if there can be an opposite. He and Anne Tyler are among my favorites. They present everyday characters with major flaws, but there's always some hope at the end.

Pity my husband being married to such an unromantic. :-(