Friday, February 22, 2008

Flowers for Algernon :: Daniel Keyes


I just read Flowers for Algernon for the first time ever, even though I know most people read this in high school. It's so sad and heartbreaking that I just about want to slit my wrists and die, I feel so bad afterwards.

But don't get me wrong. It's so good. It's an interesting concept, and Keyes does a good job of showing Charlie's progression through his own journal entries.

It's just that... why is it so heartbreakingly sad?

Oh, synopsis for people who care about things like that: Charlie is mentally disabled but really wants to learn to "be smart". He undergoes an experimental operation that makes him "normal", then smart, then a genius even..... and that's really all I'm going to say.

I'm SO SAD.

3 comments:

ChristineEldin said...

I bought this book a few months ago and it's on my reading list. I haven't read it yet, but now I want to more than ever.
Thanks for posting this!

angelle said...

this is a really really fast read, so you might as well. it's so deceptively easy to get through, but it was seriously sooo soo sad. and the beauty of it was that it was so good at being tragic without ever toeing the line of melodramatic. it just was.

Lisa said...

This brings me back. I think I read this when I was in junior high school about 174 years ago. It has always stayed with me.