Thursday, February 14, 2008

Anne Enright/THE GATHERING


A late-thirties Irish housewife learns that her brother has died in England and that she is the one who must go collect his body. The subsequent gathering of the surviving members of her family (which originally had 12 siblings) loosens her understanding of their collective past.

This is a very lyrical, language-focused book (there's not a lot more to the plot than what I described above). It was Enright's voice that kept me really riveted--every feeling she describes she puts her finger on so exactly that I would actually forget that she wasn't cataloging my own experiences (which, of course, she wasn't--I've never been Irish or one of 12 siblings). The Gathering is a very personal reading project.

If other people's opinions matter to you, this was named as the 2007 Man Booker Prize winner, and was an NYT Notable of 2007.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

It's so refreshing to read a positive review on a book that's focused on character and light on plot. I love these types of books and lately I've gotten tired of reading negative opinions about books that don't start out with six murders and an alien abduction. This sounds like my kind of snowy day read.

ChristineEldin said...

Moonrat, that's exactly what I loved about "Nobody's Fool!" I think I will LOVE "The Gathering." I'm going to look for this one. (I'm also trying to postpone reading Pillars of the Earth because longer books scare me)

ChristineEldin said...

Moonrat, I wonder if you still check down this far. I'm about 30 pages in, and loving this book!
Will get back soon...

moonrat said...

haha yeah, i do... i get an email alert everytime someone comments!! can't wait to hear what you think.