Sunday, February 3, 2008

Anne Carson/AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF RED


A novel in verse--Anne Carson's 150-page interpretation of how the great hero Herakles slew the monster Geryon in order to take Geryon's red cows. Only the whole thing takes place in the late 20th century at some point. And it's all from Geryon's point of view. Geryon spends his childhood wrestling with his identity as a monster. Critics called the book "a love story."

This book is simply extraordinary. I had never heard of it, and then two random people recommended it to me on two consecutive days so I thought that must be some kind of omen. I'm so glad I read it.

Anne Carson is a poet and the book is extremely poetic, but I read it like a novel, so you shouldn't be put off if poetry isn't your thing (it's definitely not mine).

I don't know what else to say about this, since it is so short and so language-focused that I feel like a synopsis would ruin it. But this is just a wonderful, beautiful book.

2 comments:

cyn said...

wow, this one definitely sounds original and different.

ChristineEldin said...

There was a Middle Grade book I read last year called "Out of the Dust." It was written in poetry form, but easy to follow as a novel, so I understand what you mean by that.
Sounds really intersting.