Friday, November 23, 2007

Khaled Hosseini: A Thousand Splendid Suns


My grandmother handed me this book and told me that, if I wanted to understand how f#$ked up Afghanistan is, I should read it. My first reaction is that it's very impressive how a male author was able to tell this gut wrenching story through these very convincing female characters. Surprisingly, it is the male characters who seem oversimplified and less convincing. Nevertheless, this is a powerful read, and my grandmother was right about it being a primer for the problematic history of Afghanistan. I would recommend this, along with The Bookseller of Kabul, by Asne Seierstad, to anyone wanting to better understand this country and most especially the plight of its women. I fear that our current intervention is not going to end this ongoing tragedy any time soon, especially since, as a country, we seem to have completely forgotten that the war there continues. And it will continue even after we leave.

3 comments:

Abhinav said...

I've just bought the book and look forward to reading it. Thanks for the positive review.

Church Lady said...

I have passed this book up the last three times in a book store. I live in the Middle East for a big part of the year, and I guess I'm sick to death of it. The plight of women in certain countries infuriates me. And I honestly don't see change happening any time soon.
I might try this book. Maybe.
Great review, though!

angelle said...

i liked this. maybe not as much as kite runner, but still a good book.