Thursday, November 29, 2007

Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson


What attracted me initially to 'Hattie Big Sky' is that it's about my favorite part of the country-the West. And about a state I've always wanted to visit-Montana. The story gives more than enough detail to make you feel like you are right with Hattie, trying to prove up her claim. Everything from the cold, brutal winter to the dry summer heat and the invasion of grasshoppers and hailstones leaves you feeling humbled by what nature can do.

The anti-German sentiment provided another layer of depth to Hattie's story. Children calling other children 'huns' and the shopkeeper calling sauerkraut 'liberty cabbage' provided a look into the racism that existed then, without turning Hattie's story into a social commentary.I loved that Hattie's story is realistic. I truly felt I learned a lot about the life on a homestead. What a great way for children to learn about history!


This book is warm, vibrant, and leaves you with a feeling of lingering hope. I loved Hattie's spirit, and would recommend this book to anyone who wants to read a YA that's more than a high-school drama-queen story. Hattie reminds me of an older Laura Ingalls Wilder. Kudos for a great story!!
(I posted this review on a friend's blog because Kirby would be stopping by. My criticism of the book-which I didn't post-was that it lacked a strong emotional pull. Toward the end of the book, one of the children dies. It fell flat. The writing felt too journalistic. However, even with the lack of emotion that I like to feel for the characters, it was still a very good book.)
I rate it 'very good.'

2 comments:

Church Lady said...

Thanks for the labels, MoonMama!
:-)

provato events said...

Kirby Larson will be on blog tour Feb. 22-29, 2009. Please contact me if you are interested in interviewing her.