Sunday, September 30, 2007

Michael Cox/THE MEANING OF NIGHT: A CONFESSION


A Victorian-era ex-Eton boy (Edward) learns he was born into a noble family and deprived of his birthright by his bitter mother. His life becomes a vice-filled quest to re-establish himself and have revenge on his arch-enemy, a rather unconvincingly evil impostor who stands to inherit Edward's title.

This book was too long, too overdrawn, and in the end neither artistic nor exciting (I figure you generally need one or the other). I think the moral ambiguities are supposed to be thought-provoking, but I found I just didn't care enough about the characters (none of whom I found likable). The writing is pretty good and this was a bestseller (starred PW review?!) so perhaps I'm in minority here but it just took way more of my time than it was worth.

No comments: