Thursday, September 6, 2007

Leila Aboulela/THE TRANSLATOR


Sammar is a young Sudanese widow who has been stranded alone in Scotland since her husband and true love was killed in a tragic car crash. Sammar, a devout Muslim who works at a local university as an Arabic translator, leads a quiet life of prayer, depression, and loneliness. As she struggles with her faith and coming to terms with the personal challenges Allah has set before her, Sammar is thrown into another disturbing loop: she discovers that she is gradually falling in love with a Scottish professor.

This book is short and beautifully written. It is an uplifting and forgiving look at religion that very gracefully addresses issues like the compatibility of faith and intellectualism. Furthermore, it's a wonderfully accessible book that sheds light on a culture many English-language readers know nothing about (I knew nothing about Sudan, so I'll presumptuously stand in as representative). I really loved this book and would recommend it to anyone.

(I cheated, too... I read this last spring but I really wanted to post. Since we're all cheating, let's just all post on whatever we want.)

(I love books.)

No comments: