Wednesday, September 12, 2007

John Tayman/THE COLONY


I last read this one a few months ago, but Moonrat's post on The Pearl Diver reminded me about it. It's a nonfiction book about the leper colony that the US government maintained on an island in Hawaii. The colony existed until 1969.
Now, I'm often ignorant, but I thought leper colonies were a Bible thing. Apparently, though, our government was banishing people until Edward Kennedy drove off that bridge.
Anyway, the book tells a bit about the history of leprosy treatment in the US, including quarantines and various remedies attempted. Surprisingly, it never drags. Tayman manages to not get bogged down in medical terminology and keeps the book fairly light - while still managing to pack in a ton of information. Really good read, and moves quickly.

1 comment:

moonrat said...

I've been wondering about this book for awhile--thanks for the write-up.