Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Writing Life :: Annie Dillard

Annie Dillard's essay on writing is part autobiographical, part just a writer thinking outloud about what it means to be a writer. There's no real coherence to the book, and yet, if you're like me, and you're a writer, you roll with it. You find yourself nodding your head in agreement on the process, the feelings, the frustrations, the necessities. Not to mention she has some really great little gems, passages that so well-describe the things that maybe no one else can understand unless they've tried to be a writer. This book, I feel, is great for a writer. Someone who gets it. But I can't imagine a non-writer reading the thing and deriving any joy from it. On the contrary, I feel like a non-writer who reads this book might think we're all a bunch of lunatics for ever wanting to live this writing life. Which we probably are....

I really liked it. It's a short read, a little over 100 pages. Easy, but got some great lines to make you sit back and just think a little.

2 comments:

Froog said...

Do you like Barton Fink? The best movie about writing, I think. A lot of people seem not to get it; they dismiss it as one of the Coen brothers' most self-indulgent, least engaging efforts. Me, I love it. Maybe it is also "just for writers"??

angelle said...

i've never seen it actually! but now i'll have to check it out :)