Saturday, August 18, 2007

Michael Martone/UNCONVENTIONS




This is not your usual writing craft book, but more of a peek into the fertile brain of an outstanding writing teacher. (Actually, I wanted to introduce myself to The Book Book, and this is the most recent one I've read.) The content consists primarily of Martone's lectures for the Warren Wilson low-residency MFA program, some talks he gave at various AWP conventions, excerpts from his upcoming book, Four for a Quarter, and assorted other pieces, such as a review and an interview. Martone is curious, iconoclastic, and infinitely inventive on the subject of writing. Those who have taken his workshops will find much of this material familiar, but may be glad to revisit it. ("I have only a few things to say," he told me just last week, "but I say them over and over again.")

No comments: