Sunday, August 26, 2007

Michael Chabon/THE FINAL SOLUTION


More of a novella, really--in a small English vicarage in 1944 a mute German-Jewish boy's African gray parrot goes missing the same day a man is found murdered.

This was ok. It was a really quick read (I think it was all the new rights for chapter openers) and naturally couldn't get as deep or involved as I guess I was hoping it would (ie as deep and involved as YIDDISH POLICEMEN).

As the title might indicate, this book has a lot of ideas about the fates of the Jews after World War II. I can't help wondering if this whole little book was symptomatic of his brewing ideas for YIDDISH POLICEMEN.

Angelle, I know how interested you are in narrative perspective... Well, this book has a chapter told from the point of view of the parrot.

6 comments:

angelle said...

i almost bought this bc it wsa on the barnes 3 for 2. but i didn't. ooh. parrot perspective. how awesome.

moonrat said...

ehn, i'll lend you mine.

angelle said...

yay!

Kaytie M. Lee said...

I liked this book, but then, I read it before POLICEMEN'S UNION. Reversing the order would have changed the experience.

moonrat said...

I really did feel like it was an exercise in preparation for something grander...

Lisa said...

I liked it -- thought it was a nice, light buffer between Kavalier & Clay and Policemen's Union.