Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Goodbye Tsugumi :: Banana Yoshimoto


I heart Banana Yoshimoto ("Banana" isn't really her first name, I read in some interview that she chose it because it was fun or something). Something about her writing is so pleasant in a subtle, palate cleansing way. Nostalgic without being overly dramatic. Spare. Clean.

This novella follows a girl and her frail but crass cousin during a last summer in the seaside town that they grew up in. I can't say much more than that, because it's not really a plot driven tale. But it's pleasing to read. It's short, so it doesn't take much effort. Just something nice and light, leaving you with just a lingering feeling of sadness intermingled with nostalgia. Honestly, I don't know what else to say about it. I liked it. But I like everything she writes.

No comments: